Monday, January 7, 2008

alcohol inspired thoughts...

being the wife of a republican-raised husband is difficult. especially so when you are a "bleeding heart liberal" and proud of it. 5 pear cidars/6 miller lights into the evening, mike and i had an ill-advised political discussion. though we were respectful of each other's position, it's amazing how we are all a product of how we were raised. i feel more like "little londa" every day. hysterical considering we've spent a majority of the last decade and a half teasing my mom about being "little ray" (aka my opinionated grandfather who i love/tolerate). regardless, i love being married and consider it a blessing and a priveledge/overridden with entitlement guilt that we get to spend our time drinking and discussing views on life rather than wondering how we are going to make it through the following day without proper health care/clean drinking water. that'll do. especially when no one can see my new blogs because a glitch has caused them to appear below a previously posted christmas blog. blessings and awareness of your blessings to you!

cheers!
c.

5 comments:

Jum said...

I don't think a political discussion involving alcohol can be anything but ill-advised.

Totally agree that we are a product of our parents politically. I admit that I have never had an individual opinion on politics, only what my parents' attitude was. This is why I "hate" democrats, and also why I have never registered to vote.

Anonymous said...

I got stuck talking to a guy at the KCI airport for an hour or so about politics-felt dumb not informed and didn't agree with him--I was very happy when his flight had to leave! I do believe you're a product of your parents, but I'm not near as conservative as them. Happily they have allowed me to discuss my views even when they don't agree. Plus mom's more liberal-that helps!

c. said...

i also feel lucky to have grown up in a home where discussion is encouraged. my father and sister both lean more conservatively and my mother and i lean more liberal. jim, i urge you to consider looking into how you feel politically and not just rely on what your folks have taught you, and not because i simply want you to agree with me, but because the decisions we make now as a country will have huge ramifications for us in the future and you should be a part of deciding who makes those decisions. and i'm off my soap box.

Rachel Mattson said...

i'm so glad you and mike actually have those conversations instead of dismissing them or just agreeing with one another. not having to worry about healthcare gives us obligation to worry about those who do. you are my favorite married couple ever.

Blogger Tyler said...

Fun drunken conversations. Is there anything better? I do agree that you're somewhat a product of your parents' views although my family didn't really push anything on me and I still don't know their position on politics and I obviously have a stance on a lot of subjects of politics.