Wednesday, November 14, 2007

2nd annual screwdrivers and muffins

It was Sunday and everything was going perfectly. The guests had arrived, the muffins were delicious, the screwdrivers were flowing like wine, and the waffles saved me from an early white flag. and then, it happened: ring, ring. I look down at my phone and noticed it was the David's Bridal. I chose not to answer in the event someone had called in sick and they needed me to fill in. I waited for the voicemail to sound and nervously checked the message which was, visa vis, the following: "Hi Chelsey, it's Jennifer from David's Bridal, just wondering if you were on your way or if you were planning on coming in today. Call me back as soon as you can." I believe my exact phrase was, (pardon my french) "Oh fuck."

I will now take the time to inform you that I was not on the schedule. I had worked the previous weekend and I double checked and I was not on the schedule. A debate ensued and we decided I should call and tell the truth rather than make up a tale about being out of town. I felt like an alcoholic having to tell my boss I was half in the bag on a Sunday morning and it would be a couple hours before I could come in while i sobered up. I then silently hoped that they would tell me I didn't have to come in, being they had switched the schedule without telling me an all, but life is not that kind. So while others partied on and Mike dominated the Blazing Buffalo wing challenge at BWW, I shuttled dresses and cursed David's Bridal for ruining my life. I have high hopes for the third annual Screwdrivers and Muffins Extravaganza and thoroughly look forward to waving the white flag in David's face.

2 comments:

Jum said...

Boo! At least if they're making you go in to work, go in hammered. When I sell wedding dresses I find that's better anyway.

Good use of 'visa vis.'

Anonymous said...

I was right there - "Oh Fuck" was definitely the exact phrase that was exclaimed. C forgot to mention that I totally called that was what was going to happen as she was dialing her voice mail. That's just my psychic powers/deja vu.

I would also like to say that when she said "we decided" she should tell her boss she was drunk at noon on a Sunday, she meant "she decided" - because the rest of us told her to either lie or just not call back at all. Damn her and her honesty making us all look like lying, drunk asses.