Wednesday, November 4, 2009

keep the change, you filthy animal

Tonight, I had to fire my first student worker. In my tenure at AU, 37 work days, this student had 9 last minute absences including 3 no shows/no notice. Keep in mind, this student only works 3 days a week, so in my tenure here, he amassed 23 total possible work days, giving him an absence percentage of 39%.

One would wonder why I waited this long to fire him. I wonder this myself, but stating the obvious, I'm a softie and I fall for the sob story...until today. Last night after he called and left me a message for his 8th absence, I called him back (and of course he didn't answer) and left him a message asking him to come into my office today so we could talk (read: so I could fire him). The kid did not show up TO BE FIRED. So I thought, well, I'll wait until he comes into work tonight at 6 and then fire him...but HE DID NOT SHOW UP. So I was forced to fire him over the phone/view facebook message (because the e-mail address he gave me is unreliable - see, I fall for the sob story).

I was nervous about firing this kid all day, but now that it's done, I feel totally unsatisfied that I didn't get to fire him to his face.

Damn kids.

2 comments:

H said...

I love this story. I wish I could watch you fire someone - or that I could wear my C costume and fire someone. Too bad my wig was ruined........

Jum said...

Hahahah I can't picture you firing someone....it would be awesome.