Thursday, May 7, 2009

run, run rudolph

So I've taken up running again. Not because I like it, but because I have to do it to retain any suitable level of fitness. I have mixed feelings about the running. When I get good at it, and let's be honest, I'm using the term "good" pretty fast and loose here, I almost like it. I get a kind of euphoria when I'm done and a great feeling of accomplishment when, say, I've finished running 13.1 miles without passing out. When I am bad at it, as I am now, I hate running with the fire of a thousand suns. The irony of Mike's incredible level of running fitness comparatively to my uber poor level of running fitness is not lost on me. At one point Mike could not run a full mile without stopping to walk while I was buzzing by him with gusto. Therein lies the most frustrating thing about running, if you don't continue to run, it's like you never did.

That being said, last night, after a grocery trip to Target, Mike decided we needed to go to out on a run before it got too dark. I decided we needed to eat dinner first, both to quench my hunger and as a secret ploy to not have to run. After some tasty turkey sandwiches and some crispy raw veggies, we were off. 3 min into the run it started to rain, but only slightly. The further we got from home, the harder it started raining until it went from a drizzle to a pour. Mike, who it should be said is a little off mentally since he started his training, is loving the rain, talking about if he could ever run a hundred miles in one day and having a great time. I on the other hand, am barely breathing, burping up broccoli and fighting nausea. We finally make it home and I am mostly soaking wet, which is to say that because of "the shelf" only the top of Barack's head is wet, and completely exhausted. I am feeling a small amount of personal accomplishment, but no euphoria. But on a positive note, a hot shower has never felt so good.

Stupid Mike

2 comments:

Jum said...

I lol'ed when you said "hate with the fire of a thousand suns."

Mike looks damn good with a shaved head, he should grow a beard with it to enhance the sexiness.

kos said...

Beards are always good with a shaved head.